Growing up in Nigeria we would have Nigerian Meat Pie as a snack treat (like a Beef Empanada) and no party was complete without some meat pies and puff-puff snacks.
This Chili Pie Recipe uses flaky pie crust and It’s Soupers Meat Lovers Chili as a filling for a quick weekday lunch or dinner. Ready in about 45 minutes – they are also easy to batch and freeze for future meals in a tray and once frozen solid, transfer them to a freezer safe container.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Egg (beat for egg wash)
- 1 pack of It’s Souper Meat Lovers Chili
- The dough
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt.
- Rub together till all turn to crumbs
- Add 1/2 cup of water and mix till all is combined. If the dough still needs water add a tablespoon of water at a time till you get well combined dough.
- Set dough aside in a cool place or a fridge
- Rolling the dough
- Break an egg into a bowl, whisk and set aside
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on a plain, clean surface/worktop
- Divide dough into 3 or 4 places and roll out flat using a rolling pin
- Place a large cookie cutter on the flat dough and cut out into many circles you can get.
- The filling
- It’s Souper Meat lovers Chili - Chili is one of those classic meals that is perfect no matter the time of year or occasion, and this product lives up to the expectations! Loaded with an assortment of meat, beans, and nourishing vegetables, its spicy complexity, hearty constitution, and strong, savoury backbone is the ultimate crowd pleaser. It's the perfect side, main course, or filing sure to bring supreme happiness and optimal comfort.
- Bake the pie
- Preheat oven at 180C/350F
- Add the chilli filling in the center of the flat circular dough and top with cheese, fold over the meat filling.
- Close edges by pressing down with the tip of a fork.
- Repeat this process for the remaining dough and filling.
- Place each pie on parchment paper in a baking tray.
- Egg wash the top with a brush
- Place in the oven
- Bake for 20-30 minutes at 180C⁰/350F until crust is golden brown.
- Can be served with a side of our Roasted Carrot & Paprika soup to make it a meal.
Recipe made in collaboration with Olamide Laraiyetan @ChefMide on Instagram